One of the difficulties faced by social movements is getting their message reported clearly, accurately and effectively through the lens of mainstream media. A key factor in this work has been the creation of alternative media that both offer a direct channel to fairer representation and can keep the mainstream media honest by critiquing their coverage. In the contemporary, media-saturated world new problems emerge in the form of "protest fatigue" -- mainstream failure to cover demonstrations often dismissed as "sixties style protests," as if protest can be confined to one decade or is a stylistic choice -- and the silo effect in which people only get the news that reinforces their ideology. The sites and resources below are working to address these issues with courage and imagination.
- Independent Media Center. Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage. Indymedia is a democratic media outlet for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of truth.
- AdBusters. Includes ad parodies and a variety of tools for exposing the seamy side of the ad business, and consumer capitalism generally.
- AlterNet. Major alternative news site.
- Alternative Press Center. Extensive online directory of alternative media.
- Alternative Press Review. Guide to alternative journalism.
- Bad Subjects. Political Education for Everyday Life..
- Bitch Media. Feminist take on popular culture.
- ColorLines Alternative news on race, class, and gender justice.
- Culture Jammer's Encyclopedia. 101 ways to subvert mainstream culture.
- Democracy Now! Daily TV/radio show from the grassroots.
- Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR). Counters conservative bias in media.
- GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation).
- MediaWatch. Stories mainstream media misses or gets wrong.
- The Monitor. Online version of an interesting progressive biweekly paper.
- Ms. magazine. One of the oldest and most influential feminist magazines.
- The Nation. Online site for America's longest-running progressive magazine.
- The Noam Chomsky Archive. Prolific progressive cultural critic's information-rich site.
- Pacifica Radio. A long-standing, important activist media group in Berkeley, CA.
- Paper Tiger. Alternative TV of the highest order.
- Deep Dish TV. Long-standing alternative TV production group.
- Radio for Peace International. Shortwave peace.
- SWAMP: Southwest Alternative Media Project.
- Z-Net. Many progressive media links.