Selected On-Line Social Movement Articles
This is just a small selection of the many classic and contemporary articles on social movements available online beyond ones cited in the issue sections of this site.
- Arab Spring in Tunisia and Egypt: The Impact of New Media on Contemporary Social Movements and Challenges for Social Movement Theory.
by Victoria Carty.
- Black Arts Movement by Kalamu ya Salaam. Piece from the Oxford Companion to American Literature on the key cultural force of the Black Power movement of the 1960s and early 70s.
- A Brief History of the Black Panther Party by Sundiata Acoli.
- An Introduction to Anarchism by Liz A. Highleyman. Provides an overview of classic anarchisms, ideologies that are vying strongly with and in many cases surpassing Marxism as the key radical left position in contemporary movements.
- Narrative and Social Movements by F. Polletta, and P. Chen. Excellent overview article.
- Narrative and Social Movements: The Power of Stories by Joseph E. Davis.
- The Origins and History of the Chicano Movement by Roberto Rodriguez.
- The Power of Story in Social Movements by Marshall Ganz.
- Social Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism: An Unbridgeable Chasm by Murray Bookchin. Another lassic essay distinguishing among strands of anarchist ideologies.
- This Is about People Dying: The Tactics of Early ACT UP and the Lesbian Avengers in New York City based upon interviews with Maxine Wolfe by Laraine Sommella.
- The Tyranny of Structurelessness. by Jo Freeman. Classic early feminist article on how hidden power plays can emerge in putatively radically democratic movement forms..