- Football is A Country. Postcolonial take on football/soccer.
- Tucker Center for Research on Girls and Women in Sport. Major study center on gender, race and sexuality in athletics.
- Empowering Women in Sports. Part of a series on empowering women, by the Feminist Majority Foundation.
- Gender Equity in Sports. A research project at the University of Iowa, dealing primarily with Title IX (which bans sex discrimination in school academics and athletics), and its ongoing repercussions.
- Sociology of Sport On-Line (SOSOL). An online journal publishing academic papers on a range of sport- and sociology-related topics.
- SportsJones. Interesting block taking sports back from the loudmouthed, cynical, corporate sports media.
Online Articles and Sites of Interest
- The Decline of the Black Athlete. An extended interview with sociology professor and sports activist Dr. Harry Edwards.
- Fields of Broken Dreams. A look at the current situation of Latino baseball players.
- Last Week Tonight. HBO's take at a weekly news recap has had several episodes focused around sports. Including The NCAA, two episodes on FIFA and the World Cup (Episode 1, and Episode 2), and the effect of stadiums on municipal politics.
- The Media and Stadium Politics: The Need for the Industry Context. Examines media coverage of the politics and economics of modern sports, focusing on the building of new stadiums.
- The Portrayal of Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality in Televised International Athletic Events. Presents the results of a study, some expected, and some unexpected.
- World Games: The US Tries to Colonize Sport. Takes issue with the claim that sports are Americas most successful export to the world.
eSports and Gaming Competitions
Despite the divided popular opinion if esports are a legitimate sport or not, it is a growing trend which has exploded in popularity over the last 5 years. With many gaming leagues and tournaments now rivaling the viewership and prize pools of professional sports organizations it is a culture which cannot be easily ignored. Though some segments of gaming culture can be quite inflammatory, and dominate the online discourse regarding the legitimacy of eSports, much care has been given to provide as much insight as possible into both positions regarding this topic.
- BBC iWonder: "Is Computer Gaming Really Sport?" A brief primer and breakdown of the emergence of eSports, including arguments both for an against eSports legitimacy.
- "The Controversial Dichotomy Between Sports and eSports."
- "The French Ministry of Sport Refuses to Consider eSports as a Sport."
- Game Theory: "Why ESPN is WRONG about eSports." A very well researched video which compares the e-sports industry to traditional sports.
- "Gamers Are Not Only Athletes, But the Internet Has Changed the Definition of ‘Sports’." An excellent article from WIRED discussing the evolving terminology around athlete and sport.
- "How eSports is Becoming a Legitimate Sport."
- IeSF. The International e-Sports Federation.
- The International. The official website for the largest DOTA 2 competition.
- Major League Gaming. One of the largest American e-sports organizations.
- "The Rise of eSports in America." A retrospective from 2013 of e-sports history in the United States.
- "Should Video Games Be in The Olympics?" An article which juxtaposes both for and against positions for the legitimacy of eSports.
- "Video Games on ESPN? It’s Time to Stop Pretending eSports Are ‘Real’ Sports."
Leagues, Associations, Etc.
- BCA. Billiards Congress of America.
- Commonwealth Games.
- Federation of Gay Games.
- FIE. Fédération Internationale d'Escrime, aka the International Fencing Federation. Olympic governing body of fencing.
- FIFA. Federation Internationale de Football Association.
- Formula One.
- IAAF. International Association of Athletics Federations.
- IOC. International Olympic Committee.
- IPC. International Paralympic Committee.
- LPGA. Ladies' Professional Golfers' Association.
- Le Tour de France.
- MLB. Major League Baseball.
- MLS. Major League Soccer.
- NASCAR. National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.
- NBA. National Basketball Association.
- NCAA. National Collegiate Athletic Association.
- NFL. National Football League.
- NHL. National Hockey League.
- PBA. Professional Bowling Association.
- NPB. Nippon Professional Baseball, Japan's baseball league.
- PASO. Pan American Sports Organization.
- PGA. Professional Golfers Association.
- Special Olympics.
- UFC. Ultimate Fighting Championship, world's largest mixed martial arts association.
- USATF. USA Track and Field.
- USPV. USA Volleyball.
- USSF. United States Soccer Federation.
- USTA. United States Tennis Association.
- WBA. World Boxing Association.
- WNBA. Women's National Basketball Association.
- WWE. World Wrestling Entertainment.