Miscellaneous Pop Culture Topics
This page is just beginning, and will include a number of short sections on a range of topics including toys, magazines, games and consumerism, that don't (yet) have their own pages.
- Barbie, the doll. Barbie dolls have been perhaps the most analyzed toy in human history. There is a vast scholarly and popular literature on them/her. This link takes you to a large collection of Barbie doll videos -- analyses, parodies, and commercials that give a sense of how she is being marketed today (including, of course Video Barbie, with a camcorder in her necklace.
- Barbie.com The official site from Mattel Co. is amazingly rich in Barbiana. Try out "I can be..." to find out which Barbie you want to be. I'm holding out for radical acitivist Barbie.
- Barbie Doll Analysis Essays.
From a dubious source -- a term paper "help" site -- but with some interesting introductory essays on the cultural significance of Barbie. Needless to say, do not try submitting these essays in any class. Profs are hip to this now.
- Fifty Years of Barbie. Brief BBC news article tracing Barbie's 50 year career. Weak on analysis but provides some overview of B's enduring legacy.
- Fulla, the Veiled Barbie. Analysis of the creation of an Islamic Barbie look-alike doll in black abaya (head to toe covering).
Theme Parks for Kids and Adults
- Atlantis Resort: Paradise in the Bahamas. This amazing hotel casino theme park for adults (and kids) is begging for pop culture analysis. Includes Mayan temple water slide, an archeological dig and a chance to swim beside sharks in a clear acrylic tank. Whats going on here?
- Disney Theme Parks. A Commentary.
- On the (Post)Modern/Postfordist City. The city as playground.
- The World of The World of Coca-Cola.
- Las Vegas Strip Historical Site.