Environmental Justice in the Borderlands
The US-Mexico border region, and indigenous communities and communities of Mexican descent on both sides of the border, have been hard hit by environmental racism for generations. This small sampling of sites should lead interested folks to additional resources.
- Lipan Apache Women Defense Activist group linking tradiitional indigenous land rights, the environment and social justice in the face of US government assaults.
Some Key Sites
- Border Environment Cooperation Commission (BECC). A bilingual page for a commission that works across borders to solve environmental problems.
- Border Environmental Justice Campaign Monitors ej issues surrounding the maquiladoras on and near the US-Mexico border.
- Boundaries and Border Wars: DES, Technology, and Environmental Justice,/a> Article by Julie Sze.
- Environmental Justice Case Study: Maquiladora Workers and Border Issues Article by Elyse Bolterstein
- Interagency Coordinating Committee for US/Mexico Border Environmental Health. Founded in 1995, this committee includes representatives from the EPA, the Department of Health and Human Services, and operates in the US border states of Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico.